If you are interested in boosting the curb appeal of your home, a window upgrade could do the trick. More precisely, adding a projection window could provide a number of benefits. Apart from being aesthetically pleasing, projection windows, like bow and bay windows, can expand the view and make a room more functional. So what is the difference between bay and bow windows? If you are trying to decide between the two windows for new construction, continue reading to learn what sets them apart.
Bay windows combine three windows that angle out beyond the exterior wall. This creates three openings in angled projections, with one large picture window, with two smaller windows on either side.
- Bay windows feature angular lines and flat planes that give a contemporary feel, making these windows ideal for more modern homes.
- They provide more space than light, projecting farther from the wall than bow windows.
- Bay windows are limited to three panels and they’re more adequate for applications with narrower window spaces.
- They are easy to install and can be fitted directly onto the home.
Bow windows, sometimes called “four-lite bow” or a “five-lite bow,” stretches beyond the exterior wall, much like bay windows, but gracefully sweep away from the wall in an arch of four or more windows, giving the exterior a rounded appearance.
- The structure of bow windows is curved in a semi-circular manner, making these windows more ideal for Victorian architectural designed homes.
- Bow windows let in more light than bay windows because they have more glass panes that allow more light to enter a space.
- They create a unique turret shape on the exterior of a home, allowing for views from two sides of the home.
- These types of windows typically require customized installation, using specially made hardwood shells, uniquely fitted with multiple windows.
- Bow window replacement can average $3,600 for materials and labor. It is roughly 2.5 times more costly than bay windows because of its customized element.
Both bow and bay windows may appear similar at a glance, but they are entirely different. These replacement windows can transform the look of your home and enhance curb appeal. With the right replacement window service professionals, you can replace old windows with one that let in more light and provide better views. Contact Atlantic Window Warehouse today!